Eenmanszaak is actually a form of ZZP

Date:2020-12-07 19:46

Hi I'm back!

We discussed a lot about ZZP'ers (zelfstandige zonder personeel) last time.

Many of you told me that knowing this way to earn extra money makes you no longer want to do your present job anymore.


Through your feedback, I also noticed that there are still some of you who have difficulties distinguishing ZZP with eenmanszaak.

I wish to emphasize here that the eenmanszaak you know is actually a form of ZZP.

Anyways, knowing you are all enthusiastic about being your own boss

I cannot help but tell you more about eenmanszaak. So, what exactly should we do to apply for eenmanszaak?

What should we pay attention to before we start?

Well, here we go!



Resident permit


Before starting your self-employed life, the first thing you need to do is to check if you have a legit resident permit allowing you to work and live in the Netherlands. It doesn’t matter if you are an international student, a job seeker in your search year, or an employee working in the Netherlands, as long as you have a long-term or short-term resident permit (or Dutch nationality), you are allowed to apply for eenmanszaak.



Registration with KvK


Now that we have a legit resident permit, we can register with KvK. Registering in the Commercial register at KvK (Chamber of commerce, Kamer van Koophandel) is what I usually called the first administrative step towards eenmanszaak. So, what exactly should we do to register as an eenmanszaak?

Step 1: Filling the registration form on KvK website.

Step 2: Make an appointment for submitting documentation on the reservation page. Remember to bring the following items with you when visiting KvK:

  • Your filled registration form

  • Address and contact of your company (your lease as well, if you rent an office)

  • Valid proof of identification (passport/resident permit/Dutch driving license)

  • €50 

Step 3: Give your company a name. You can search for existing names of companies on KvK website. Once the registration is successful, you will have a unique KvK number belonging to your company. The number is used in commercial invoices and publishing external information. 



Tax and BTW


Besides registration with KvK, you still need a BTW (VAT in English) number from Dutch Tax and Customs Administration. The Dutch Tax and Customs Administration would levy taxes quarterly by BTW declaration (BTW aangifte).

I would suggest you find a reliable financial agency to deal with taxes. After all, there are still many dos and don'ts about payment and reduction. For example, you should always pay attention that:

  • When invoicing, you need to add 21% BTW tax to the regular fee.

  • Calculate and fill BTW return quarterly, and complete the payment with Tax and Customs Administration.

  • You can deduct BTW on business expenses, for example, the costs for materials, transportation, equipment, etc.

  • If you receive less than €1883 per year, there is probably no need to pay BTW at all (or a smaller amount).

  • If you didn't file a BTW return or complete the payment in time, you will surely be fined. 



Business plan


If you want to start a business in the Netherlands, you do need a business plan. Not only is it necessary to persuade IND/KvK/Tax and Customs Administration, it also comes in handy when searching and attracting clients, promoting, building website, participating in events, or advertising. Speaking of which, I have to say that learning Dutch is definitely a smart move in the long run. The preparation phase already includes a lot of paperwork. Knowing Dutch will make your management work easier in the future and it can also help you reach out to more Dutch clients. So, if you are determined to learn Dutch, you can find out more information in the office next to ours.

 (Yes, I did take their money……)


Recommended Articles
Want to discuss more about your career?
Schedule an consultation with us now!
Career Consultation
Searching for career opportunities?
Our 1-on-1 full care service can help you
Premium Package